The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril (/showthread.php?tid=100266)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Schuttzie - 06-28-2014

Looks like a great catch, Gerry, yum!

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 06-28-2014

So a bunch of us are enjoying the music and the dancers at Bourbon Beach at night.

Towards the end of the evening, a couple of local girls want to come party with Charlie and I back at the Seastar Inn. Charlie takes off a few minutes before me. The girl who is coming with me is standing nearby in the parking lot, as I push-guide my scooter back through some other parked bikes, and as i get ready to put the key in, a local guy says: "Hey, you touched my bike."

I did no such thing, I figured he was just harasssing me for a handout, so I told him, "No way mon, I didn't touch your bike."

He started escalating: "Hey mon, you 'licked' my bike (whatever that means)." Then he started pacing towards me.

I was a little nervous. I started up my bike and told the girl to hop on and hurry up about it. But she wasn't quite close enough to position herself onto the back of my scooter without this approaching guy being able to get within striking distance, so I gave it a little gas and moved forward about 50 feet, then I told the girl to hurry up and run to my bike so she could load herself safety without this crazy local guy getting close enough.

As she kept moving forward, the guy with fire in his eyes was speeded up, too, and it was clear he did NOT want me to leave.

Now, I was figuring this might turn into a fistfight or some kind of attack. But, also, I really wanted the girl to come along with us. So I gave it some more gas, about 100 more feet away, and said to the girl: "Run, hurry up."

She started running towards me, but the guy started running, too.

Oh crap.

Again, the dance continued. This time, I went like 200 feet, nearly all the way to street, and told the girl: "Go, go, go. Hurry up!" The guy ducked behind some bushes, but I figured he might be trying to trick me into stopping long enough for her to jump on while he catches up to me."

So she hurries along, and suddenly the guy breaks away from behind the bushes and started really rushing towards me .....

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Schuttzie - 06-28-2014

What!? Could be a very dangerous situation, I hope everything turns out OK.

You are leaving us hanging, here, lol!

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - captaind on Zion Hill - 06-28-2014

(06-28-2014, 10:01 AM)gerryg123 Wrote:  He started escalating: "Hey mon, you 'licked' my bike (whatever that means)."

It means you hit my bike

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - rootswoman - 06-28-2014

What a tease you are GG

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Westenders - 06-28-2014

Omg Gerry you are too cruel, hurry up with the rest, lol

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - kaycee - 06-28-2014

...such a tease! Lol! What happened??!

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - gerryg123 - 06-28-2014

I was nearly at the front gate now, and there were only three things that were going to happen, as far as the girl was concerned: one, she was not going to make it, but at least I would be safely on my way; two, she was going to fall onto the ground and possibly get injured trying to jump on, cause I was hitting the throttle at this point as she was came within inches of jumping on; or three, she would make it just in time as I fired off, but the assailant was in strong pursuit, too, soit was a now-or-never situation.

Well, Jah was looking down on us. Not sure if she had made it or not, I peeled away just before the pursuing guy could get a hold of me, and in a hi-ho-silver move, she ended up jumping on safely just as I started to move. She was MINE, and he was in the dust as I darted forward about five feet before he got to me, then I quickly turned right -- thankfully there were no oncoming cars at the moment 'cause a right turn in Jamaica is like a left turn in the USA -- and as the girl grabbed onto me, I could feel her heart beating like a drum against my back.

She was a young lil' thing, and she was even more scared than I was, but oh how exhilerating the chase was.

Wait a second, I thought to myself. If he runs back and jumps on his motorcyle - a reasonable suspicion -- he could theoretically catch me before I made it all the way up the hill, right?

I was not taking any chances. I pushed the throttle to full gear, as the girl kept exclaiming: "I can't believe it! I can't believe it! I can't believe it!"

The funny thing is, I was much more calm about the situation than the girl, just because it was in Jamaica and not the USA. I know what all of you are thinking: It should be MORE terrifying in Jamaica, but that's not the way I see things.

Through the years, I've been to Negril about 25 times, and I am NOT a wealthy guy, so obviously I have made a lot of sacrifices to be here, so by deduction, I must really love this place -- and it's true, I do. But on the other side of coin, some bad things have happened to me through all the revelry:

-- I've been pickpocketed for $20 at Scrub a Dub by two guys, one distracting me while the other slipped a bill out of my back pocket.

-- I've had my phone stolen (or misplaced, still not sure), and whomever got hold of it managed to scam a relative out of $500 in a wire transfer by claiming he was me (then I got calls for months saying I had won an award and to send money from the USA, then the same voice offered to return the phone from a ransom amount.

-- I've been accosted by a young male on a motorcycle who threatened to pull a gun out and shoot me in the head if I didnt give him gas money while I was filling up at the Shell station. (I laughed it off.)

-- I had another motorcyle guy with his accomplise on the back try to rifle through my pockets as we both sped along at 40 mph at 5 a.m. with no one around at Norman Manley Boulevard.

-- I've been ripped off in drug deals (or shorted, I should say).

-- I've encountered a 12-year-old beggar in front of the ATM, and I'm sure he was working for an adult (and that is SICK on a lot of levels).

-- I've been given counterfeit money by a jerk-chicken guy for change of a $20.

Oh and I'm not even including several bad experiences with hookers!

At any rate, I was going pretty fast up the hill, and eventually I caught up to Charlie, who greatly enjoyed hearing about the whole scenario and he would tease me about it for the next few days.

We made it back to the hotel OK. Overall, it's just another example of what I tell everyone in Negril: Never let ANYTHING surprise you in Negril.

Ya mon, ya mon, ya mon.

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Likkle Red - 06-28-2014

Hope you do not run into the other guy later on in your stay! Ride good Gerry!

RE: Back after three-plus weeks in Negril - Schuttzie - 06-29-2014

Oh, my goodness you were so lucky! I'm so glad you made it safely away. You certainly have had your fair share of experiences in Negril so I can see how you were more calm. Be safe, Gerry!