The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff (/showthread.php?tid=100221)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - ohliz - 04-17-2014

Hi...well I'm back from 10 days in Negril and Kingston (I generally do not announce ahead of time or while there that I am away, for various reasons you can all probably understand). I usually blog my trip reports and I will get to that, but I thought I'd start with my submitted review to TA for Catcha Gardens where I spent the first part of my trip.

“Another great stay (second time)” Pending review

I just returned from 4 nights at Catcha Gardens. I had Fern, downstairs near the pool, a room I booked on a summer special that offered rooms with fans only, no AC (there ARE rooms with AC but they cost more and IMO AC is not necessary in spring). I came with a larger group taking 4-5 rooms in all.

Let me say that this stay was even better than my last one in 2010. From my arrival and service at the front desk (Shereece? Darn I forget!) to Wayne the amazing groundskeeper to the nighttime security (Marshall, mainly), to Lorette who cleaned my room, the staff was absolutely top notch.

Shereece was there for any need and always with a huge smile. Wayne not only offered a pool towel when I went in the pool, but climbed a tree to get us Jamaican apples, presented me with a thoughtful gift of flowers on my birthday, and was just always around to help with anything. Lorette is sweet and kind and not only cleans the room but puts out little towel hearts with flowers ever day. Marshall made us feel super safe at night and sat with us and chatted a few times, and was always good for grabbing us a taxi late if we needed it. This tops service I've had at much, much more expensive hotels. So big up yourselves CFSG, you are awesome Smile

My room was comfy. Large, two beds, mosquito nets (did not use), ceiling fan and stand fan, sitting area with TV (did not use), clean bathroom with hot water and great water pressure, large verandah with hammock, table, chairs. Cold fridge that does not cost extra, safe that does not cost extra, wi-fi that does not cost extra. You are not going to be nickel and dimed here for that as some other hotels do.

We spent a lot of time at and in the pool. The pool is thoughtfully designed with a free form shape, steps in, a table and chairs submerged in the water, a "cave" with waterfall and underwater chaise lounge, plenty of loungers and tables and chairs set in sun and shade, and a library with couches and tables where we set up most days. I like to run around Jamaica a bit when I am there but I spent a LOT of time laying around and in that pool because it was so nice. Perfect temperature, clean, refreshing. Met some of my fellow guests there and everyone was fun and cool which is, IMO, a feature of somewhat less expensive cliff hotels.

Guests are given a room key and a gate key and the gate is kept locked. Between that and the safe and the excellent security, I felt 100% secure staying there and leaving my things there when out.

We often ate breakfast just across the street at LTU Pub, which was tasty and convenient and low-priced at breakfast time. There are several good places to eat close by, we also enjoyed Soupie's (cheap, fast, delicious) and Catcha Falling Star (not cheap but tasty and lovely setting), and also close is Ahbees, Seastar, Rick's, Mango Tree...no shortage of very walkable food and drink places.

I walked around the area a lot alone and with friends with no issues. Unlike at the beach or even further down the cliffs the salespeople are very mellow up in that area. When "rush hour" (aka sunset at Rick's) is not happening it is very quiet with little traffic. I rented a scooter from Tyke's for a few days and rode it away from town, out into the country on several occasions, and it was lovely.

I really can't say enough great things about this place. It is not a 5 star hotel but it has 5 star service and delivers on every expectation. I will be back!! 

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - rootswoman - 04-17-2014

Nice!!
I want to go!

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - Schuttzie - 04-17-2014

Thanks for sharing your report and "stuff" with us, Ohliz!

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - oldtimer - 04-17-2014

Being able to "chose " company is a luxuray !!!!

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - ohliz - 04-17-2014

I can report that I was able to get an inexpensive LIME phone this time...cost me $2.50/day and included all international and local calls and texts. Details: http://www.travelsinjamaica.com/2014/04/phoning-home-and-everywhere-else-from.html

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - ohliz - 04-17-2014

Updated Catcha Gardens review with photos: http://www.travelsinjamaica.com/2014/04/catcha-falling-star-gardens-terrific.html

(I'm going to link to my blog posts as I go because it is hard to redo text-photos-etc specifically for this board. Tammy let me know if that's not OK please)

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - mamade11 - 04-17-2014

we will be there 12 days and can't wait.  I so agree with everything you said about it.  It will be our 2nd stay there, but even when we have stayed at CFS we always went to visit with Wayne.  Great people there.

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - booger - 04-17-2014

Catcha Gardens is a great place with an awesome staff. Marshall is my go to even when not staying there as he is so resourceful.

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - Sharleen - 04-17-2014

I was friends with the girl who originally purchased the 'Catch A Falling Stars' property years ago (Bonnie) - I'm glad that the new owners kept the name for that piece of land.  She loved that land so much!  I lost touch with her probably about ?? 35 years ago.  She was from Miami, an adopted child, she did LOVE that little piece of land with her whole heart.  If anyone knows what happened to her, I would love to know the story.  I left the town in late 1979 after being there for most of the 1970's.  I had my first daughter in October of 1979 so kind of "beat it out of town" really quickly so as not to have to deal with giving "birth" in Sav.    
   I have been unable to come to JA for some years now due to our family dog developing diabetes.  I had to put our little Roamie Doodle Dandee to sleep on his 13th birthday on March 31st.  I am for sure not getting another pet soon and I am planning a vacation REALLY soon. 
   My favorite place to stay is Citronella, but I am thinking I might need to stay further out in the West End in these times.  Like at the West Ender or if I could afford it there is one place that sounds amazing, owned by a Washington DC or Baltimore guy...Tingalyga or something....  the name of the place escapes me right now. Next winter from just after Christmas I will be able to stay for three months, I definitely can't wait for that!  I am no longer interested, as I once was, in going for the Independence Celebrations in August.  The last time I went, I could not believe the level of heat and humidity (end of July, beginning of August)... from the moment I got off the plane I thought "I paid money to come to this" ????  My immediate vacation plan, since not being able to go ANY PLACE AT ALL to take care of our sweet little Roamie is going to Prince Edward Island in three weeks. I live in upstate NY and it has been the COLDEST most horrid winter I have remembered in many years. 

RE: ohliz Trip Report and Stuff - rastagirl777 - 04-17-2014

Liz, I'm glad you stayed at Catcha Gardens - in my "hood" (kind of).  Its my favorite part of the west end (which is why I plant myself there for a few months).  Great neighborhood and the hotel is great - simple, inexpensive, awesome service and security - yup, everything you said!

"or if I could afford it there is one place that sounds amazing, owned by a Washington DC or Baltimore guy...Tingalyga or something....  the name of the place escapes me right now. "  Dave is from DC and bought the place, what? 10? 15? years ago.  Jube is the caretaker - an old and great friend of ours.  Tingalaya Retreat is the name - google it and you'll get their website.  Its a very special place, so pretty and peaceful - cabins on both the seaside and the landside and a sweet little sea pool too!  I have no idea of the rates or if they rent long term (around the Christmas/New Years holidays I **think** they do not since Dave comes that time of year with all or some of his kids and friends).  His ex-wife (god help me, her name escapes me) handles the bookings for the place.  You might also want to check Catcha Gardens for long term - I know a few folks who stay or have stayed there for 2-3 months.  They have I think two rooms with a kitchenette.
Oh, and Sharleen, I'm so sorry about your doggie Sad