The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary (/showthread.php?tid=100164)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - kylake - 03-26-2014

Has anyone ever been to Rockland? I figure it will eat up the better part of a day and just wanted to know if anyone has been there and had any impressions or comments about the place to share with me.

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - Pineapple - 03-26-2014

I've been there once.  Friends were only staying in Negril for one week and I was staying for two.  This gave me a chance to drive them to the airport then take a leisurely drive back and catch all the sights I'm usually too much in a hurry to see.  It was well worth the stop but I'd never drive all the way from Negril to just go there.  Here are some photos.
[attachment=338][attachment=339][attachment=340][attachment=341][attachment=342]

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - kylake - 03-27-2014

Thanks Pineapple for the response and pictures. We feed and observe birds a lot here in TN. After your comments we will think about it but may go on the back burner (so to speak). Sand gravity will probably take over and we will mostly stay in Negril area but at some point we would like to see more than just what the Negril area has to offer.
Negril is a nice place but I know Jamaica, as a whole, has a lot to offer beyond Negril.

Maybe when we both are retired we will be able to have more time on vacation which will allow more to be seen and not in a rushed way.

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - ohliz - 03-27-2014

Seems like a good thing to do when coming from or going to the airport?

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - Schuttzie - 03-27-2014

We went one year when our girls were young and they had a blast feeding the hummingbirds.  At that time we were there, they wouldn't let us go anywhere else except to sit there where the hummingbirds are to be fed so that was disappointing.  But it may not be that way anymore.

Darn, I just checked to see if I could post pictures of some hummingbirds being fed,too, but they are not digital. Old camera, lol, and no scanner.  Pineapple's picture of the doctor bird is great!

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - rootswoman - 03-27-2014

I love those pictures Piney! Especially the one of you feeding the bird.

I have never been there but I have seen a lot of trip reports, over the years, where people have really loved their time there and considered it a highlight of their trip

Since you and your wife are bird watchers, you may really like it, and maybe you could combine it with some other site seeing.

This is why I wanted to try and organize the old trip reports. So many are lost in cyber world with all the board and our own PC changes over the years.
It would be nice to see what else people did on the day they visited the sanctuary.

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - Blues Pirate - 03-27-2014

There were several reports last year of the road being a mess to get there and some drivers were refusing to take people. Hopefully that has been sorted out but it would be best to look into it further.

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - MoFromMonroe - 03-27-2014

We were there about a yr and a half ago. The road there was horrible and I wouldn't want to drive my car on those roads. We were there for about an hour. The caretaker walked us around the property a bit after feeding the birds. There really wasn't much to see. I got the feeling that there were more hummingbirds when the original lady owned it and it is an after thought for the person there. I guess I would have to say I am glad I did it but wouldn't go back a second time. We did it on our way to the airport at the end of our trip.

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - kylake - 03-27-2014

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

RE: Rockland's Bird Sanctuary - Nurse Marcia - 03-28-2014

It is nice to do once, as everyone mentions. I still remember the feeling of the little claws on my finger, because I didn't feel weight of the bird at all.
We combined it with a bamboo raft ride and got back to Negril mid afternoon, I think.