The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Let's Meet and Greet! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Let's Meet and Greet! (/showthread.php?tid=100134)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Schuttzie - 03-21-2014

Welcome aboard, Tanfastic, and congrat's on the weight loss!

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Nurse Marcia - 03-21-2014

It's nice knowing more about everyone -- I understand that nothing stays the same in Negril - and that is a natural progression when tourism is involved.

With my NRP project, I traveled to every Parish when I was teaching and developing the program. Negril is unique! I will leave it at that.

My approach to vacation in Negril is to be a tourist. I understand that as human beings we all want the same thing - to live our lives and be happy. I avoid people that might want to take advantage of me, I tip well for good service and rarely give handouts. I don't try to get the lowest price for something if I know it's not a fair price but the person is so desperate that day s/he will take anything. When I can, I support people doing good like Father Jim and his work with getting kids to school.

This is all working pretty well for me. I read about people's experiences, good and bad, and can remember being in the same situations at some point in my travels to Jamaica.

Getting to know Jamaica is a long and slow process that everyone needs to take at their own pace, and this board is a very good way to do that safely. As a Farrin' er, I know I will never completely "understand" Jamaica. The dynamic is ever-changing.

I still love Jamaica, away from tourist areas, and I'm looking forward to getting back to Kingston, Mandeville, the North Coast with my next project.

And I still love Negril -- with all it's blemishes.

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - MsBaltimore - 03-21-2014

Ok, I guess I’ll jump in. My name is Carlotta and I live in Baltimore with my husband Donald. We have visited Negril five times in the past eight years. We use to come in February or March but now prefer the off-season in October and November. We have visited other Caribbean areas (we are beach people) but something always pulls us back to Jamaica. I've never posted a picture so I hope this works.

[attachment=275]

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - bigga - 03-21-2014

Hi everyone, first of all I would like to mention how great it is to read your posts and reports. I am mostly a lurker on this site but like I said enjoy coming on here and checking out what everyone has to say. My name is Greg, I live in west central Wisconsin and am semi retired from the building trades were I spent 35 years. Started traveling to JA. in 1979 with a bunch of friends during the winter months and have continued over the last 35 years. The stays have been shortened as the years have gone by,but my love for Negril has never deminished. Sure things have changed over the years and are not the same but were has it not. Tried travels to many other destinations but for me not even close to JA. so like the old saying goes, different strokes for different folkes.
Like many of you I could sit for hours on end and tell tales of the adventures that we embarked on while living up in the hills, sometimes not coming down for weeks at a time. For instance the time we had 16 people in a smaller glass bottom that sank about a mile out or the time we brought fishing poles and crank baits and trolled up the Negril River so far we could barely turn the boat around. This was complicated by the fact we came upon a very large growing operation and they were not very happy that one of the guys was taking pictures. Needless to say he lost a very expensive 35m. with zoom lense which was very high tech in 1980, but these tales and many others still stay with me and keep me coming back.[/size]

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Schuttzie - 03-21-2014

Welcome, MsBaltimore and Bigga, glad to see you introducing yourselves.

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Tim - 03-21-2014

[attachment=284]I guess I will pipe in. My name is Tim (duh), and I am married to Rosie, my wife of almost 6 years. I have been travelling to Jamaica off and on since 2001, first trip was to the Starfish Trelawny. On my 3rd trip to Negril I brought my girlfriend, and proposed to her while knee deep in the Caribbean sea right on New Years as fireworks were going off. Thankfully she said yes! We returned for our honeymoon the following winter and did one more trip to Negril after that, where wife had her purse snatched while walking along Norman Manley. She literally has a scar to remind her of that experience which kept us away for a few years until we returned this past winter, but this time we rented a car and spent 2 weeks in Portland.
In between we have travelled to other south destinations, both coasts of Mexico, Belize, Cuba, and we each did a solo trip, her with a school group to Costa Rica, me on a 7 day fishing trip to Puerto Rico. Although we will return to Jamaica, it is on the back burner again.
As of yesterday, we made it official and booked our flights to Europe this July, going for 3 weeks. We will be travelling by rail and will tour Denmark, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. Rosie has family friends in Denmark so we will start there then head to Amsterdam before going to Fussen, Germany where Rosie will be running a marathon, I will be doing the half. Then going into Austria where I want to go to Kitzbuhel, the site of the famous Hanenkahm downhill ski race every winter. On our trip to Port Antonio we met a couple from near there and they invited us to come and see them. From there into Germany and to the Czech Reb, where Rosie has relatives.
I have never been to Europe so am really looking forward to the trip. Going there with carry-on only, don't want to be lugging baggage around.
I am a journeyman sheet metal worker, mostly do commercial ventilation work. Right now I am working up at the cigar lake uranium mine, one of the most concentrated sites of uranium in the world. Rosie is a grade 5 elementary teacher, she teaches in the French immersion program, which she speaks fluently. The only negative to her job is we are limited to short trips in the winter, and always during "peak" times. If things go to plan she will quit teaching full time once her pension is at a decent level then "retire" to doing substitute teaching. We both have 12-13 more years of full time work.
Will try to post one of my favorite Jamaican pics, haven't posted one on the new site yet.

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Schuttzie - 03-22-2014

Hi, Tim~ Your European trip sounds amazing and I hope you will share it with us here. Or any other photos you'd care to share, haha.

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Nurse Marcia - 03-22-2014

Keep chiming in! Enjoying this.

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - Susantherese - 03-22-2014

Hi everyone!  I live  in the lovely, freezing Minneapolis, Mn part of the country!  My first trip to JA was to Montego Bay in 1981.  We were there when BoB Marley's funeral was taking place.  I was hooked early on, although I did skip a few years in the 80's to explore other islands.  Having been fortunate enough to spent a lot of time on the island before it got too crazy, I am now like many of you having challenges adjusting to the new vibes.  I traveled alone for many years and loved the freedom of doing what I wanted when I wanted.  It doesn't feel safe to do that any more.  But yet,  I still return.  Used to be a beach dweller, but have enjoyed stayed on the West End in recent years.  

Right now, my job is looking for a job after having my position as an HR/training and development exec for a large non-profit eliminated after 11 yrs.  As I look for my next great adventure, I   Am stashing every nickel and living on
unemployment and the $'s I make teaching yoga.  (Yes, yoga is my passion!).   I am having a bit of withdrawal from the rock, but my two furry kids (west highland terriers) are helping keep my spirits up! 

I lurk a lot, but really appreciate the positive energy of all of you and this board!  Some day I will figure out photos....

RE: Let's Meet and Greet! - papamark - 03-23-2014

Hello...I have been hanging around Jamaica message boards since 2002 when I planned my first trip with my son to celebrate his high school graduation.  Next trip down was in 05 to celebrate love and life with my new bride Laura (who BTW is Canadian for all those Canadian lovers like me ).  Then it was a month each summer in 06, 07, 08, and 2010.  I have only been in the summer because I don't like to feel rushed and a week just wouldn't do it for me. 

I work a public school schedule...been a school psychologist for 23 years so summers work out great for travel.   We travel alot around our beautiful state of Michigan.  Laura recently landed a new job in a service call center after several years of being a stay at home mom.  My three adult children have all been to jamaica at least twice.  Also have two step sons in middle school and high school and 3 grand children, none of whom have been to Ja yet.

It's been four years since the last trip.  Too long.... I keep an eye out for trip reports and the comin's and goin's.  I continue to dream and plan and save.  I have a return trip in the works for this summer...God willing.  I will most likely be travelling solo for the first time, as Laura has her new job and the kids are poor and enslaved.    So the plan this trip is to travel light...only backpack/carryon...take buses and route taxis...explore other parts of the island including visiting friends on the north coast and hiking blue mountain peak...and renting a car and drive for the first time on da rock.   In some ways, this will be a trip celebrating the freedom of my youth.  I used to be a backpack/hitchhike type of traveler and perhaps because I am turning 60 next month, I feel the urge to revisit the more carefree freedom those days.  This summer offers me that opportunity.    Anyway, it has been fun dreaming!

Peace...

[attachment=304]