The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
So my kids just came back.... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: So my kids just came back.... (/showthread.php?tid=100049)

Pages: 1 2 3

So my kids just came back.... - ohliz - 02-27-2014

I picked up my kids at the airport last night, they've been in JA for a week with their dad and his extended family. They had a blast, of course.

So my D, who is 16 and has been driving for about a year now (licensed 6 months), tells me she "doesn't get the big deal about driving in Jamaica".

"Oh?", I say?

"I had no problem at all!'", she says.

Eek.

They had a rental car and she was allowed to drive it around locally (Silver Sands and Duncans area), did well with that and so was allowed to drive with her slightly younger cousin, solo...from Duncans Bay to Falmouth (or wherever she wanted, she chose Falmouth).

I am a little freaked out....her dad is obviously a lot more permissive than I am. It was a rental car so of course if anything had happened they'd have had to cover it, since she has a valid license but is under 25.

At the same time, I am kind of proud of her.

Obviously glad they came back in one piece!

Wanted to share that but not in a place she or other family would see it, I think I'm safe here Smile

RE: So my kids just came back.... - kylake - 02-27-2014

Personally I would be nervous, probably, driving in Jamaica for the first time even though I have been driving for decades.
Kids have such a Laissez Fare and reckless abandonment about themselves it takes the nervousness out of the equation (unless there is a problem)

Great that she didn't have a problem of any sort and because of that it was probably a great learning experience for her.

RE: So my kids just came back.... - Angel - 02-27-2014

I would be shocked too and not happy.

RE: So my kids just came back.... - Bob and Pat - 02-27-2014

Bob used to teach Driver's Ed & even he won't get behind the wheel in Jamaica....

RE: So my kids just came back.... - rootswoman - 02-27-2014

Shudder!

It's not easy!

I totally get your little feeling of pride - she is a brave girl!

However - If You want my opinion as an outsider, and someone who did not put a lot of feet down much while raising my daughter, if they go next year, I would put my foot down.!

I say this because I will never get over a traumatic memory I have. My daughter was 19 and in Jamaica visiting her boyfriend during spring break. She called me from the road where there was an accident right in front of her - there was a car packed full of people burning up in front of her eyes. She was in a route taxi a little after green island heading to Negri, behind the car that crashed. Everyone got out to watch - she grabbed a little child that she was with and walked out to the beach until it was time to leave - Thank God there was a beach right there so they could get away from that scene.

There are too many madmen on the road
and lets not even think about medical care...

I just kept thinking how easily it could have been her...

Parenting is a challenge!

RE: So my kids just came back.... - ohliz - 02-27-2014

Yeah no kidding. If/when she returns without me, I'll have a chat with her dad about it.

I personally find driving in JA not that difficult but I have been driving for 30 years.

In a way I guess it makes sense that she wouldn't find it hard either, because it isn't HARD per se, it's just a challenge driving defensively enough to avoid the far more aggressive drivers around you. She was almost always on the new highway, of course, and that's fairly civilized. And she is an excellent defensive driver here, has been since she started.

But i wouldn't have let her do it.

In other news, she got hit on by lots of guys - shocker - enjoyed talking with everyone she met. She thought the best trip they did was to the "Secret" Falls/Blue hole over by Ochi. Also, they did Luminous Lagoon and everyone said it was the best most-glowy water ever, and they've all been a zillion times so it must have been awesome.

They also went to Negril for dinner, to see Lydie and Paula at 3 Dives, who haven't seen my kids for about 10 years. That was neat...my S, now almost 20, had his 9th birthday there. They made him a big plate of chicken with a candle on it because he wanted that more than cake! He said it was still the best chicken he's had Smile

RE: So my kids just came back.... - booger - 02-27-2014

Maybe Pops was training her for DD duty later? However, on her own is a little gnarly to me. Though, if she is your kid and you have drug her along on your trips, she is seasoned more than most.

Alright,still not cool with that as a dad of an 18 year old.

RE: So my kids just came back.... - oldtimer - 02-28-2014

Very very UNCOOL !!!!! In harms way every foot of the way SHAME ON HIM !!!! Letting a kid drive a RENTED ??? car in Jamaica is like having unprotected sex in Jamaica...your taking a big risk. If that happens again rethink your parenting skills !!!! Just because he hasn't the brains that God gave a goose doesn't mean it's SAFE , CUTE or MATURE !!!!!!!!! What does he do drive a cab ????

RE: So my kids just came back.... - Schuttzie - 02-28-2014

Oh, my! I have an 18 and 19yr daughters and would never allow them to drive, let alone drive by themselves without an adult. I don't think I'd let them out of sight at that age, either, especially knowing JA's history.

How scary!

RE: So my kids just came back.... - rootswoman - 02-28-2014

Glad to hear they had such a good time Liz,
It looks like you Now you have a bunch of support here if you ever need it!

By the way - I have been thinking a lot about your Dad - how is he doing? Did you make it out to Bend?