The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
River Overflow - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2014 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Thread: River Overflow (/showthread.php?tid=71632)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: River Overflow - kylake - 02-11-2014

Dana1 wrote; Pardon the pun but you've created quite the shitnami on the other board....2406 views and 56 responses!

Good, what I intended was to make people aware. The naysayers and folks seeing the water as sewage is about even unless you include all the moderator's comments which take up almost one page, and in my opinion naysaying.
Blues_Pirate wrote: Good thing we have Tammy's board.

That is a fact jack!

My intent was simply to inform as many people as possible about the fact that it could and most likely is a mix of tannic and sewage. Without testing and publicly posting the results from the river outflow and the effected beach areas it is anyone's guess as to what is in that discolored water. Amazing to me that is not done for the safety of the Jamaican's and Jamaican tourist simply as a precaution and using some of that hotel tax and other tax money collected in Westmoreland.
Also amazing to me the thread has lasted without edit or purge.

Re: River Overflow - DAWN - 02-11-2014

http://www.nepa.gov.jm/newscenter/Press_releases/current/PR20140108-new-wastewater-and-sludge-regulations.asp

media release from January 6, 2014

Re: River Overflow - kylake - 02-11-2014

Thanks dawn, so I wonder if NEPA did any monitoring of what we have been discussing in this thread? Something tells me no. Do you know where they post results of any monitoring? If it was on their page I must have not spent enough time looking for the embedded link.

Re: River Overflow - rootswoman - 02-11-2014

all I could find was a draft of how the report is supposed to look from 2009.....
I was hoping someone would find something more recent -

i just saw that this link was displayed in your discussion elsewhere

http://www.nepa.gov.jm/standards/water_quality_standard_marine.pdf

it is the same link I found earlier but didn't share as it appeared to be a red herring

Re: River Overflow - Sophie - 02-11-2014

Nice find Dawn. I'm sure NEPA has been up in arms for a long time about the situation but they couldn't force compliance. Seems they will have to comply now~~ or as much as any government entity is in compliance in Jamaica anyway.

So they will have to "conform to international standards", which means that up until now they have not had to do so. We can see the results of that by looking at the health of the reef the the erosion of the beach. Well, as you can read the erosion is due to a few factors.

Yes, the erosion of the beach, NOT "nature giving and taking". I don't dream this stuff up I read the many reports available. How many times has the erosion been talked about and people have been led to believe that it is just "re positioning of the sand"?

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110814/lead/lead5.html

http://www.academia.edu/1829845/Shoreline_changes_and_sea-level_rise_at_Long_Bay_Negril_western_Jamaica

Re: River Overflow - Sophie - 02-12-2014

I wasn't very clear, my brain work faster that my fingers. Yes the sand does move around....there is just less and less to move around. All of the reports state that there is a serious problem with erosion.

Re: River Overflow - oldtimer - 02-13-2014

I do agree that some (very little) of the "brown" is tannic stain BUT !!!!!! the major part of that is BACK WASH !!!!!!! that you don't see unless it rains hard. In days gone by ,yes it was only stain , but now it has shit in it. It's like comparing a virgin drink to a drink with alcohol in it ,both the same EXCEPT !!!!!!!!! for the alcohol/shit. The plant needs to be 4-5 times bigger to handle the 10,000 tourists pooping everyday.As Bobby would say "facts !!!!! " I don't see them swimming / walking / wading or washing their fish in river water. LET'S SEE THAT !!!!!!! That is a FACT !!!!!

Re: River Overflow - JonTom - 02-13-2014

I've seen water analysis posted on a board on the beach in Negril. Part of "Blue Flag Beach" and something else (Green Earth? or something?).

That was 3 or 5 years ago. I didn't recognize some of the things tested, but did others (fecal matter and ... phosphate something-or-the-other), but all were well below the posted "acceptable level". I have/had no idea if those posted levels were "correct" or who decides such things. I did note the date wasn't terribly old nor incredibly recent. IIRC, it was between 1 to 4 months from before I viewed it. Made me wonder if they would keep it (the analysis program) going.

Re: River Overflow - kylake - 02-13-2014

booger wrote: Beaches in So California are closed at least annually.

Should I expect the same monitoring in Negril? Never

Never is a strong word, why Never booger. Things can change even in a country the Jamaica.

Re: River Overflow - kylake - 02-14-2014

booger wrote: Because it would hurt tourism.....

If checking would hurt tourism you must be of the opinion that the water is highly polluted a majority of the time and the honest fact would drive tourist away. Is that correct?