The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in (/showthread.php?tid=100372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Schuttzie - 07-06-2014

I agree, Suzengrace, variety and different journeys people are on are the spice of life. Life would be boring if we were all the same, lol.

I love that, Westender..."bless you and stay positive"!

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Westenders - 07-06-2014

I just find that approach keeps everyone in a place of dignity and respect and I always mean it, I'm not an unkind person, but I'm not a pushover either. I often say to my hubby that we can't 'save' Jamaica but I am always understanding.

I think we have all prob met some calculating people there, but I never allow my kindness to be taken for foolishness. I have my own little avoidance strategies lol!!

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - suzengrace - 07-06-2014

love your style Westender....

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - kylake - 07-06-2014

LostBeachBum, great writing and from the heart. I really enjoyed reading your experiences and opinions. Please write more when you have time to do so.
Basing on this when you do have time to write your book it will be a interesting one. Also the way you are cooking could I have the extra bed :-)
As far as the barrel the folks on this board know a lot so their advice it probably best to at least pay attention to. You said though you didn't really expect to make any money.........so maybe if you had a Jamaican partner involved it would not offend/PO established barrels.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Schuttzie - 07-07-2014

Good idea, Kylake about the partnership.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Yamangurl - 07-07-2014

LBB - I hope you know how enjoyable your report is...thank you!!

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - ohliz - 07-07-2014

(07-04-2014, 05:52 PM)jitterbug Wrote:  having a barrel is not safe for a white man . . . you would be taking business away from a local . . . not cool . . .

I feel like it would be ok for a local white (or black) man but not a black (or white) man who is not local....

The key word being "local" - it's more about being Jamaican vs foreign.

But perhaps I am wrong.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Blues Pirate - 07-08-2014

So when does an expat qualify as being considered 'local'. One year, two years, 20 years? IMHO a white dude trying to sell jerk will be in deep shit from the true locals, one way or the other, regardless of how long he's been on the island. Unless of course you are Rob because everyone likes him *grin*
By the way LBB, good read, I hope you eventually return to continue with your life on the rock reports.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Raine - 07-08-2014

LBB, great read. Am also enjoying other posters comments

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - goldilocks - 07-08-2014

Loving this, LBB. You sound like quite the gourmet yard fusion cuisine type of guy! Maybe write a cookbook?

I have "ghetto" experience here in US (raised my kids for 10 years in the projects) and in Jamaica, right in the West End and other locations too. Some really upstanding folks live in the "ghetto." I love that it really tests my street smarts, ingenuity and survival skills. In fact, more time I'll take ghetto over plush - I'm just more comfortable that way. Don't really relate to the "plush" people. I enjoy working with the community to maybe make life just a little bit easier for everyone. I'm also quick to cry broke, often beating folks to the punch, which does tend to throw them off a bit. I've taken to telling people, "You know the saying: Don't take my kindness for weakness? Memba dat" if I give a little smalls to someone.

Westender, we share the same wallet strategy!

I'm a little concerned about the jerk barrel thing cuz local competition can be brutal. Aren't there supposed to be license and permit? LOL