The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Same Vacation/Different Experience - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Same Vacation/Different Experience (/showthread.php?tid=43084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - Sheba - 02-06-2012

Specially for you .
Hope its not cooooooooooold in your corners.
King Yello the sexiest man in a Jamaica.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - suzengrace - 02-06-2012

Hey Sheba-just curious-where is your hood?? I'm out in the cockpit country myself- Maybe i should check out your area-were looking to move somewhere new in the future..Be nice to be surrounded by such good and trustworthy neighbors..

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - rastagirl777 - 02-06-2012

"You can learn the runnings they allow you too. Does this make you knowlegable or part of the runnings? no. For those who think they can be a local again, imo you are fooling yourself."

Let me rephrase.

I have learned the runnings and still DO learn each day I'm here. I don't pretend to know everything. I know the runnings as I need to - learn more as I need to. I don't need to know everything and I am not nor do I consider myself a "local". But my friends that live here full time do. Local yes - Jamaican...no. When you run a business here there is a whole DIFFERENT set of runnings you need to learn and "they" don't always make it easy - whether its ordering supplies or getting your work permit. Its the land of "one form short", lol.

I am very fortunate that when I tell someone I can't buy them a patty they don't get insolent with me - I am very fortunate that I have had Jamaican friends for over 20 years - and make new friends year to year, real friends who never have asked me for a thing...friends I can have a coffee or tea with and just chat with, have over for dinner, etc.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - suzengrace - 02-06-2012

Ok Sheba-The last place you'd probably ever find me would be in a place like Turtle towers..But to each hes own. We still have to go to "the pump" for water out where am at..-opposite ends of the spectrum I'd say (LOL)

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - Sheba - 02-07-2012

I WOULD ESTIMATE IN NICE LITTLE SECURE BASICALY FURNISHED OR UNFURNISHED SHORT TERM.Bed and HOPEFULLY NO MENTION OF breakfast PLACE IN THE SAFE ST ANN AREA WITHOUT MOD CONS, POSSIBLY HOT WATER TO BATHE.ON A LONGER TERM BASIS EG. PLUS MINUS A 3 MONTHS MONTHLY RATE AT BEING APPROX 000? PLUS /MINUS jmd PER MONTH WHAT EVER YOU AND THE HOPEFULLY RESCECTFULL LANDLORD

SORRY IF I AM SPEAKING DOUBLE DUTCH, YOODLEYING, OR JUST GETTING HYPED UP FOR MY SOON COME.

IAM LOOKING FORWARD TO MY BIG OLD COTTAGE IN JAMAICA.

I would NEGOTIATE for A DISCOUNT at 5000 JMD a day. 2 bedroom cottage on the seaside. IF AFFORDABLE. ALWAYS GOOD TO BE CLOSE TO FAMILY AND GOOD CONNECTIONS

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - VenusdeMilos - 02-07-2012

Good point Macy and Sheba I am not reffering to you but I do see this all the time on fb and elsewhere...the Dah Di Doh, bokkle/likke, Mon. Its a pet dislike of mine and I dont get it...other than maybe in a joke. I dont see/hear tourists in Greece faking a Greek accent other than those that adopt the "no problemo" and use it for everything. Or how about tourists walking around Paris calling out "Good Moaning!" OK if you are living there or long stays then of course you are going to pick up some colloquialism. (sorry for the ism pon dah riddim ;p but you know what I mean).

I am guilty of mi and yard and maybe a few more, but thats a London thing too, Im not apeing anyone, just sending miself up! Smile

Infact when I return to London I hear kids talking like that all the time and I am aware that its a result of mixed races, classrooms etc which is all good but it can drive me nuts. Especially when its done just to be cool. Or even more mindboggling last visit I was listening to a bunch of Asian kids on the bus talking in a Jamaican accent. How weird is that? Whatever happend to the Queens English mi seh!!!

Here is a brilliant piece of sattire which I think highlights my point.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - wit - 02-07-2012

Thats not the attitude i've encountered..Though I certainly wish it was..Most jams dont even let others know what they have for fear of it being thifed or just destroyed-Jams dont like to see others get ahead or have more or better things than they do..and that would include sharing..This just my personal observation..

nor I. ditto that!

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - oldtimer - 02-07-2012

I was thinking the same thing.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - jabailey - 02-07-2012

I would bet there is only a small percentage of us that visited JA once, twice, thrice and didn't think we were going to retire there. I guess my question is what opened the eyes of us who decided against doing so? In my case, I watched dear ***** build her home, then see she had to have a REAL person to run it while she was away.... just because you hire or trust someone doesn't mean they are going to do you right. Then, I looked at the numbers, and said "self, for the amount you are thinking about spending on buying/building , you can rent monthly when/where you desire, and do so for 20 years and still be money ahead". Then, after my Andy passed, and the 1.5 hours it took for medical to arrive, with him long dead, I said (again) "Self, this medical community sucks". Open eyes ..... prices went first world high with no health department to inspect the rats I saw slowly walking along cupboards in restaurants, and where were the washrooms the cooks use to wash their hands??? ... and then.... most importantly, I spoke with ... someone who told me how cheap it is to live there, but opening my eyes I saw that his experience is because he too depends on us "tourists" to buy him breakfast, lunch, dinner, cocktails and some cd's to boot. I want to be a tourist; a traveler. What's the big head that comes with "As a person living in Negril". Yup, so? Sorry, anyone I've offended, though actually no one on here has ever taken that attitude with me. So, my take is, put me on the beach/cliffs in a resort, let me relax and/or party on vacation, and I am happy. Make me live there and my vacation "paradise" turns to a place my ancestors helped overcome so I might have a better life. I respect all of you who live or visit there.... if you are lower middle class like me, it's not so easy. By the way, it rankles me to think that because I might say "no no No to offers of ????, that that person would dare to rob me.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - Sheba - 02-07-2012

Hi Pineapple, Yes my first time in Jamaica was indeed to work.
I have also travelled to many other countries for my work.
I mostly don't have much time to relax, sight see etc in those countries so I don't much feel like a tourist .
When I travel strictly for my own pleasure I consider myself a tourist.