The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Something you weren't taught in School - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Something you weren't taught in School (/showthread.php?tid=49107)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Something you weren't taught in School - francesca - 05-20-2012

"I just wanted to say, that the more I research & study what has been hidden from ALL of us about the past history of the world, I have come to realize that history is extremely important to all of us....we MUST know what has come before & know why it was hidden, to have an understanding of what is going on now.". Thanks JJ, true words.

An article in today 's paper that on a certain level fits some of the themes in this thread:

----------------------------

The U.S. Census Bureau says I won't be a minority in California within three years, if not sooner. It also said last week that for the first time in American history, minority births have surpassed white births.

"The United States has reached a historic tipping point – with Latino, Asian, mixed-race and African American births constituting a majority of births for the first time," wrote the Associated Press.

"Minorities made up about 2 million, or 50.4 percent, of the births in the 12-month period ending July 2011, enough to create the milestone."

I've been waiting for this day for years. Truth be told, I turned my back on the "minority" distinction a long time ago and buried years of negative emotion in the process.

I'm a proud American today, but I got to that place via a different route from the graying baby boomers who would fear the implications of last week's census news.

Fear not. My generation assimilated, and the next one will as well.

When those historic babies come of age, I would tell them they were lucky to have avoided that whole minority trap.

I wish I had. But as a Californian born in the early 1960s to Mexican parents, I was part of a generation raised in the no-man's land between the eldest boomers and the newborns of today.

Most of my life has been marked by a massive migration of immigrants to the United States in the last 40 years – 12 million people from Mexico alone.

That influx has just ended, but not before inflaming ethnic tensions throughout my lifetime. Some of us remember our elders picketing and boycotting for civil rights.

We grew up on David Carradine playing an Asian man on "Kung Fu" because Bruce Lee was too Asian for the part on 1970s television.

I'm not yet 50 and my own profession was largely integrated during my career. I worked alongside ethnic journalists who were the "first" in their newsrooms, and the stories they told were tough to hear.

Have you ever been called a "minority hire"? I have.

Those terms were hurled in moments of fear and envy over status and stature that was up for grabs. I first heard it when I was a college student in the 1980s, which figures. Affirmative action in education, along with immigration, have been the roiling issues of my adult life.

I've covered them for The Bee, which became diverse as a newsroom only in the last 20 years.

And oh boy, that was not easy.

Some animosities were never reconciled, but some were. I should emphasize that I was neither a victim nor blameless along the way.

I simply bought into the "minority" thing until one day I stopped subscribing to what others thought and said, and to the labels and distinctions that I hope will be fully irrelevant by the end of my life.

When I write about these issues, the online comments can be very caustic from some – but that's OK. It's taken me this long to appreciate how the wave of immigrants of the last 40 years shook up the landscape and scared a lot of people in the process.

That fear had spawned angry words and wedge politics, such as the draconian immigration laws in Arizona and Alabama.

In California, it created Propositions 187 and 209, which attacked undocumented immigrants and affirmative action, respectively.

The changing demographics fuel those who claim America is in decline.

It's not. The babies of today and of the near future will grow up in families already bringing vitality and optimism to their country – our country.

You see it in the bustling businesses in Sacramento's Little Saigon. You see it in promising young leaders, such as Woodland Mayor Artemio Pimentel, the son of farmworkers supported by a broad coalition of Democrats and Republicans.

I've stood before the future of our country, and it is hopeful.

Earlier this year, I was honored to be the guest speaker at a massive swearing-in ceremony of new U.S. citizens at the Memorial Auditorium in downtown Sacramento.

The old, ornate theater was packed to the rafters that day with new Americans, and their hopeful faces spoke to the profound assimilation of many world cultures into one American culture.

They were so excited. They weren't here to alter America, but to be a part of it. They weren't minorities. They were the future.

In that moment, four words I'd heard all my life suddenly became real: one nation under God.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/20/4502760/marcos-breton-despite-demographic.html#storylink=cpy

Re: Something you weren't taught in School - suzengrace - 05-20-2012

Yes Daniel-that was an awesome video ...
Doctor O-keep being yourself and telling it from the heart...
Medi...thanks for sharing all that info.

Francesca.....Loved your posting and agree with your sentiments..

Re: Something you weren't taught in School - giuseppe+spera - 05-22-2012

wow i never felt u were racist when i read your previous.. its true everyone in america is defined by race.. in itself racist. when the census was done for example i answered the race question OTHER HUMAN RACE.. i had government census people call come to my house unacceptable i was told... i told them there was no choice for italian slightly irish a jamaican and two half casts..lol and turned them away.. to this day wen asked i answer HUMAN.. on the other side of the coin not to diminish the suffering of blacks.. my father would get angry when they would cry out its only them who were decriminalization.. he would say i came here to america cause during ww2 i went thru three house in 1 yr my 2 sisters were taken cause they labeled my family jews and when i got to the us ATLEAST THE BLACKS WERE LISTED ABOVE THE DOGS, speaking of the deep south where my father told me he wasnt allowed in a dinner the sign outside said no niggers no jews no dogs no catholics.. he would say to us atleast the blacks were above the dogs... PS MY FATHERS sisters were taken by germans to we all no where never to be seen again...

Re: Something you weren't taught in School - wit - 05-22-2012

That's a perspective I share ....thank you G.

Re: Something you weren't taught in School - Sundowner - 05-22-2012

I'm like Daniel, can't seem to find the words to express how I feel. So thank you, Daniel, Orbra, Guiseppe and others for expressing it for me. Sometimes the most simple solution can also be the most complex. Is it because we choose to make it that way? I get frustrated at the hurdles and blockades in the way. But am always determined to forge ahead if I can. I start with my own family -- a little education, a book or article here or there. It does help open minds.