The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
RENTAL LONG TERM - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: RENTAL LONG TERM (/showthread.php?tid=47746)

Pages: 1 2

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - wit - 04-26-2012

yes Doc I agree...bloody mess. I'm not saying it isn't done...it is. But some of us here also know....take food out of the mouths of a jamaican won't go over well. I would never consider moving to a developing country as a foreigner and expect to be employed. Especially a violent country. To each their own.

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - rastagirl777 - 04-26-2012

A work permit is not only not the easiest thing to get - its expensive, the fees having tripled in the past 3 years. I THINK its somewhere between $600USD-$1000USD after all is said and done (paying for fingerprints, filing papers, brata and transportation to Kingston a number of times...) - its a lengthy process too. And it has to be renewed every year (or every three if you pay even more money).

I too would not go there "expecting" to get a job. Lots of us have 30 or more years working experience - but in what field? One of the documents they (immigration) can ask for is proof that you can exist on your own there for 3 or more months. I've never been asked but I'm always prepared...

Like I said before Giueseppi (sorry if I mis-spelled) living there is much, much different that your current tourist/visitor experiences that you've had. You really do need to take it one month at a time, developing community and learning on the ground "the runnings" - you can be told here but you gotta "live it to learn it".

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - rastagirl777 - 04-26-2012

Giuseppi - you got this. I think a lot of your questions will be answered here as well as during the trips you have planned. Network, network, network and meet people in the community...and you'll figure it all out Smile

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - rootswoman - 04-26-2012

Welcome to the board.

If I were you, I would listen to Sharleen.
There are plenty of apartments on the west end but you will want to spend some time feeling things out. I think it's best to go there and talk to people living there now and not rush into anything.

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - giuseppe+spera - 04-27-2012

awh yes io cabito italiano buon, mi tutti famiglia vivo italia and yes im gonna take my time as stated above in my reply ....

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - rastagirl777 - 04-27-2012

Giuseppi (man, I'm sorry I keep mis-spelling your name!)

Yes, there are plenty of apartments on the West End...again though for a one bedroom not sure if you'll find what you need in your price range.

You know, your best source of information is your girlfriend! Hang with her peeps as well as hitting some of the more popular expat hangs (LTU, Canoe, No Limit Bar, Pee Wees). You'll come back and have info to share with us!

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - Lola - 04-28-2012

Guiseppe & Spera,

(did I get that right? ☺)

I think your 30Kj budget is a bit low for what you want - Doctoro's post is really great. Other things to suss out, how frequently are tenants moving in and out, are there lots of visitors in the yard, what is the neighborhood like plus access to transport as DrO noted, is the landlord around and maintaining the place.

I have a couple places to suggest, if you don't mind posting your email I can send them to you.

Re: RENTAL LONG TERM - rastagirl777 - 04-29-2012

"although i think a lot of ppl overlook the information when choosing a place to live while in ja"

Yes indeed. People hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see...I think the living it to learn it really works Wink