The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Could You be the Problem? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Could You be the Problem? (/showthread.php?tid=46201)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Could You be the Problem? - monk - 03-28-2012

remittances are a level of culture which i think are extremely misunderstood and often cause bad blood.

Re: Could You be the Problem? - suzengrace - 03-29-2012

Everybody's "real" is as real as the environment they are in..

If someone is "shaking there head" cuz they dont comprehend how anything negative like that could happen (cuz it's never happen to them in all their years going there)and this person with the neg exp. explains because of the "environment" that they move and live in...Then that should say it all...
There needs to be no further condescending,dis-counting of one's neg exp just because you dont get the vibe-and your exp. in Jam.is always so "polly-anna".Count your blessings -you truly have a charmed life-..And if you stilll dont get it then try walking in someone elses shoes..spend some time
in this other environment and maybe then, you'll see where others are coming from..The environment one "lives and moves " in may be totally (and is in this case) then the environment someone else does..so experiences will most likely be different and on different levels.. Doesn't make one more "real" then the next.
Just puts things in a different context..
One who of may have a chill lifestyle on the cliffs would not be aware of the lifestyle in a local (out-of-tourist) yard. Just as one who "stays -in the yard" may not get to exp. this non-confrontational,peaceful vibes,cliff-side lifestyle...

No one is trying to make a contest out of who is more "real" then the other..

Our realities are formed by where we live and how and where we move about-
(and ones attitude also factors in)

Re: Could You be the Problem? - wit - 03-29-2012

So again...please tell me - what is "real living" in Jamaica?

Real living in Jamaica is when you don't have the option to leave when things get rough or tough......my opinion

and my opinion as well Tanya

Re: Could You be the Problem? - rastagirl777 - 03-29-2012

Doc, Jitters, Monk, Deb - beautiful words that describe the "reality" of living in Jamaica, where ever in Jamaica - Negril, the bush, the housing scheme. Thank you. Please remember that Negril is a community that includes expats and Jamaicans - and I don't think my Jamaican neighbors life experience is any way less real than Jamaicans living in Whitehall, Brighton or out in the "bush" somewhere. Different reality, yes - but less real? No. Is my experience, their experience, my expat friends' experiences "sanitized"? In my opinion and in my experience absolutely not but I can't help what anyone else might think. What you read in my blog is indeed an uplifting depiction of my experiences there. When I write I focus on my positive experiences and feelings - every word I write is true but I'm not going to dwell on negativity there. Its just not the blog I want to write. That doesn't mean I am oblivious or live in a bubble distanced from some very real poverty and hardship that I see every day in Negril. I also see my expat friends struggle to pay outrageous JPS and water bills, make ends meet. Their life is not easy. So I'm not oblivious to that either, quite the opposite - I'm more in tuned with an expat's struggle to live their dream in their beloved adopted home than most people are. And, as Doc says, no one needs to know all of your business.

Suzen, I'm sorry my "head shaking" comment disturbs you and I tried to explain what I meant in the other thread so I'll try again - I was shaking my head in sadness, bewilderment because what Jitters describes is not her experience alone - I've read and heard many people say that, even my god son at times. It is in no way disbelief or trying to diminish her experiences. So again I apologize for what turns out to have been a bad choice of words.

I live humbly in Jamaica. I'm not a wealthy woman so to spend three months there does take some planning and budgeting. Do I lived a "charmed" life? No. Far from it as a matter of fact - maybe that's a bad choice of words. For me to live my life on my terms doesn't come out of thin air. Lets leave it at that. Am I blessed to be able to live my life that way? You bet - and not a day goes by when I don't take a moment to appreciate my life, my friends, my family and my homes.

Re: Could You be the Problem? - wit - 03-29-2012

Real is where you are standing, sitting, and feeling right now.

ITA

Monk....I too have always asked what exactly is the 'real' jamaica? Isn't it ALL real?

Jitters: I hear what you are saying and agree. I've also always said...unless you live in a yard (not a tourism yard on the sea) back in the bush, with a local. That''s a whole other world. Just like going as a male or a pigmentally challenged female. It's NOT the same trip....at all.

Re: Could You be the Problem? - Schuttzie - 03-29-2012

I enjoy everyone's experiences and realities that they are willing to share. The many perspectives helps to see we are all different but the same. As someone said above about having empathy, compassion for others is paramount in all our walks of life.

Everyone wants the same out of life: to be happy, to be free from harm, to love and be loved.

Re: Could You be the Problem? - wandabeinja - 03-29-2012

Thanking everyone for the good read.

Healthy discussion opens minds TO different realities.

My reality changes by the minute .. . .

Lose someone you love - your reality changes.
Lose your health - your reality changes.
Lose your job - your reality changes.
Lose someone to death - your reality changes.

My "reality" is constantly changing.

Many thanks to my friends in helping me to stay "grounded" in times of too big a reality shift!

Re: Could You be the Problem? - wit - 03-30-2012

Debra....no worries my dear. You said what you felt. It's all good. Yup a joke Macy, Chelle and I all share. Lots of things are misunderstood on the net. It was supposed to be a creative way to say 'white'. Pigment challenged simply means a LACK of pigmentation on the skin. Feel no way Smile ox

Re: Could You be the Problem? - DAWN - 03-30-2012

Lily was the most "pigmently challenged" in her litter..I loved that about her!

Re: Could You be the Problem? - wit - 03-30-2012

she's BEAUTIFUL dawn