The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
More trouble, bad trouble - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: More trouble, bad trouble (/showthread.php?tid=45999)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: More trouble, bad trouble - rastagirl777 - 03-25-2012

"Someone recently started a thread on TA about riding in taxi's around Negril. In the post she recommended that one never get into a taxi that doesn't have at least one other person in it. I think I'd disregard her advice!! "

Sure, you can - but read the CORRECT post first, lol!
"1. Make sure before you get into the cab that there is at least 1 Jamaican passenger IN THE BACK SEAT. (This would mean that if you are a party of 4, this would not be an option for you.)"

The perpetrator of this crime was in the FRONT seat.

There are no guarantees in life. One can follow all the "rules" and still end up in a bad situation. I am hoping this woman might have caught a license plate number - that's how the thief was caught when the folks I met were robbed back in January.

Fatty - you seem to think you are tuned in - what advice would you give a traveler to Negril? Do you hire a private chartered taxi when you go out at night? Do you use route taxis? When you use taxis do you always make sure they have a red plate and route on the side of the car?

Personally - these are things I do - check the plate, the route - AND the driver for vibe etc. Living in a NEIGHBORHOOD there I am fortunate to know many drivers, my friend knows even more. My preference at night is to charter but that's not always possible - my friend is awesome about scoping out drivers and PUTTING me in a cab with one he knows personally. But I am anxious Fatty to hear what advice you might have for those trying to get around Negril safely.

Here's the the post I made on TA in February - you can decide whether or not to disregard the perspective given in it. There are no guarantees in life no matter where you go. I'm so sad for this woman, what an effin horror and I pray for her recovery.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147313-i70-k5148452-On_the_Subject_of_Taxis-Negril_Jamaica.html#38647825

Re: More trouble, bad trouble - fatty - 03-25-2012

I suppose my advice would be:
While using red plate taxi's during the day...if you like the way a person is driving...ask them for their number. Ask them if they drive at night. If so, call them when you want a taxi after dark. If you can't call a taxi you know...be very careful getting into a red plate at night or at least try to catch the license # in case there is a problem...in this case she didn't get the #. I would say that you're safer if no one else is in the car when you get in (which is why I disagree with the philosophy to NOT get in unless there is another person in the car - front seat OR back seat).
When I need a taxi late at night....I have four or five #'s of friends/drivers who I call to see if they're out. But, usually, they are waiting outside the venue I'm coming out of and I can pick from four or five drivers that I know are safe.
One must be very cautious after dark as far as who to ride with. If something doesn't seem right...don't get into the taxi. Another will be along soon. Especially on the beach road.

Or, one could forego going out after dark...because as wit says "nothing good happens at night" or something like that! LOL

Nikki...would she have been safer if the robber had been sitting in the back seat???

LeeAnne...the two events were unrelated...sorry for the confusion!!!

Re: More trouble, bad trouble - wit - 03-25-2012

I no longer own a car in Jamaica and I do not live in Negril, but not far from it. If I want to go out to socialize in Negril at night, I hire a driver I know, to pick me up at my house and when I'm ready to come home, he picks me up and brings me right to my door. I pay him when he takes me into Negril and he is always right there ready to carry me home. He is not a private charter, he works and picks up other fares, but I would not have it any other way, with the exception of getting into a taxi with a jamaican man friend of mine to travel with me. It costs me triple of what I would pay to ride in a route taxi, but that's fine with me. I do not walk on the road at night alone, not in my community and certainly not in Negril. Call me paranoid, I call it smart. After living here 10 years I know what is best for me. Be careful people, be more then careful, maybe step into the ultra-ultra careful arena, it may just save your own life.

ditto....this is us now as well

Regardless the bottom line is a few people are confusing their traveling in taxis as groups, with boyfriends, husbands, friends, and Jamaican drivers they know with single traveling women or even single traveling men but that is no comparison. Everyone catching a taxi has not been to Jamaica 20 times or been going for 20 yrs.

exactly Tammy. I was going to say something similar. And NO disrespect you you fatty but your experience in this area will not help a single white female traveler. That's a whole other world.

“Fear is known to keep people safe.”
While I understand what you are saying Macy that statement in and of itself terrifies me. It is the tactic the US has used these past 11 years – instilling fear and distrust into the hearts of Americans to garner support for wars that should be well over and done by now and for political power. Fear as a motivator does not make sense to me because it is blind and not always based in knowledge or experience.

I refuse to walk my life in fear – but I will not be reckless either. A little education goes a long way and we all do the best we can with what we know. I prefer to empower myself with knowledge that quiver in fear. My life experience with travel and living in cities such as New York and San Francisco have opened my eyes wide to all sorts of possibilities where ever I go. Hell – my brother and I were walking in Paris late at night and a couple of guys were following a bit too close for our comfort level. So we didn’t freak, we didn’t run – we simply crossed the street and walked into a café.

I believe I mentioned in the original thread that these little “points of advice” were a collective effort. I do not live in Negril for three months in a void. When something happens, it is discussed – with my friends and neighbors there, Jamaican, expat, part time residents and tourists. The advice about getting in the car with someone in the back seat was something I’d personally never thought of until it was brought up by another resident – and I do try to follow that advice. Is any advice a guarantee of safety? Does advice from anyone HAVE to be followed? If someone takes advice of any sort and the outcome is bad – is the advisor to blame? Again, its about knowledge and empowerment. You can disagree and disregard any advice given by anyone – the couple who were robbed in February did – but to declare it as bad advice to be disregarded by anyone is unfair to readers who have intelligence and presence of mind. There’s lots of advice out there – good, bad and indifferent. In the end we are all responsible for our actions and knowing the risks and consequences of anything we do. Advice followed blindly is not well....well, well advised.

Like you LeeAnne, I prefer to travel with a private driver at night. These days I’m seldom out so late that my regular drivers are not on the road in the wee hours. I do have the number of a couple of “night drivers” that live in my neighborhood that we’d call. Even after dark, not late at night, in the unlikely event that I can’t get a hold of one of my drivers since I have been living on the West End for so many years I have come to know the route drivers there – even better, my friend knows practically all of them and he will wait with me and put me in a taxi with someone he knows and trusts.

Also, like you, I no longer walk alone at night – when a neighbor comes over to our house a couple of us walk him or her home as well. No one is walking on the street alone at night!

“If something doesn't seem right...don't get into the taxi.”

I agree…and have dispensed this advice many times over both publicly on the ‘net and privately in discussion. In any situation – taxi, vendor, talking with someone on the street – anywhere in the world – go with your gut and never second guess your first instinct.

I’ll repeat how horrible a situation this is. I did not know the woman or how long she’s been visiting Negril though that doesn’t really matter in the scheme of things. I think what’s upsetting is that as far as we all know she did everything and still everything went wrong. So often with crime the victim and the people discussing their plight tend to blame – the victim – they got into a white plated car, they flashed cash, they walked on the beach alone at night….in our minds I guess we need to “justify” a horrible act in some way and that just blows.

Re: More trouble, bad trouble - rootswoman - 03-25-2012

Sigh.....

Perhaps the best way to help combat these things is to make sure they get talked about. Let us not do what is done in Jamaica - turn the other ear - this stuff needs to get out on the WWW and the Jamaicans need to know the tourists are talking about it.

Most of us here are folks who have been advocating for Jamaica by telling people it is perfectly safe to leave the walls of the all inclusive. We have convinced friends, family and newbie boardies that they must experience "the real Negril" Those days are behind me for now.

The worst thing that can be done with all this crime is hide it under the rug - I imagine the two major Negril forums are very busy with their delete buttons.
The only way I imagine the crime will stop is when the tourism numbers plummet and the government realizes they have no choice but to clean things up...

My heart is aching for that poor girl - it could have been any of us women who have traveled alone.

Re: More trouble, bad trouble - rootswoman - 03-25-2012

and the rich keep getting richer......

yup as long as the people in power are happy things will stay as they are

just makes me sad Sad

So....staying in an a/i makes you miss out on the 'real' jamaica? WhoTF wants the REAL jamaica? Seriously.

Only by the grace of Jah, some of us are alive.....Jah Bless We

ain't that the truth Debra!!

Macy: I know I make people puke with my admiration of your words but I honestly don't give a ratz pattoootie what people think. If people actually KNEW me they'd know I don't kiss anyone's ass...ever. That said....

I cannot tell you how happy and grateful I am that you are on this board sharing Smile What a unique perspective from a very unique jamaican. Thank YOU oxoxoxo

"Most of us here are folks who have been advocating for Jamaica by telling people it is perfectly safe to leave the walls of the all inclusive. We have convinced friends, family and newbie boardies that they must experience "the real Negril" Those days are behind me for now."
Sadly, for me as well. I wouldn't suggest a woman travel there alone anymore. And - in preparing friends who are coming to visit us for the first time (or not even the first time) I'm afraid I'm frightening them with all the "do's and don't's". Better safe than sorry though, right?

"The worst thing that can be done with all this crime is hide it under the rug - I imagine the two major Negril forums are very busy with their delete buttons. The only way I imagine the crime will stop is when the tourism numbers plummet and the government realizes they have no choice but to clean things up... "
Agreed. Not a word mentioned in TripAdvisor and I'm so not going there - or perhaps I should? Even if ONE person reads the post? What do you guys think? - and to what end? I'm not for sweeping under the rug - but I wouldn't even know what to say that someone should do differently except hire a private cab and again, no gurantees unless you personally know the driver?

Ugh! So frustrating! I love Negril, I'm about to book my next trip without hesitation. I have friends there, most of whom depend on tourism for their livliehoods...

Speaking of tourism though - it was one of the BUSIEST late January/early February seasons I have seen there in a long, long time. Most hotels AI and non-AI were pretty well booked up and crowds everywhere! One of those friends who is in the food biz (selling to hotels and restaurants) said their business doubled from last year to this year. So I don't know that the government will be so quick to "notice" when tourism is up, which it appears to be.