The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Same Vacation/Different Experience - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Same Vacation/Different Experience (/showthread.php?tid=43084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - suzengrace - 02-04-2012

Dont get me wrong-I'll take in illness/injury in the good ole USA before (I pray) I ever have to in Jam..I have an interest in my fellow -hospital workers world wide and if am in the area will stop by the local one to check it out..Had a friend also that was in Sav hosp...She called me "Beggin" to come get her out-Easy to see why when I went..
I will say-I've had the pleasure to stay at half moon in MoBay once with a friend-pretty nice digs-they have their own medical clinic there..Quite nice and impressive-but obvioulsy funded by Half moon not the Jam Govt..

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - oldtimer - 02-05-2012

well the Jamaicans come here (Canada) as beggars as well.42.7 % of them are on welfare. They come here for a new start and don't even take FREE !!!!! training.They just go to the welfare dept. in Hamilton in their Lexus's and pick up their checks !!!!! end of story.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - wit - 02-05-2012

experience has shown me that it's best not to plant roots in an environment that, for as long as I come here...I will never really understand. As it is we rent a likkle cottage in Negril and can pick up and move at the drop of a hat!! Owning property here.....NO THANKS!!!
You are a wise man Fatty....

agreed!

Macy, do you feel that the 'handout' mentality had anything to do with barrel kids? ie. a generation of people raising themselves or other family members raising them waiting for their 'mother' to send supplies?

That is one third of your population raised getting things without having a clue how it was earned. Two thirds are watching and thinking, ask and it shall be received.

Thank you Macy for your honest reply. Seems to hold a lot more weight with me seeing as you were born and raised jamaican and was a barrel kid herself.

I also feel those numbers are higher in our age bracket. I'm older than you my dear lol. I feel the 40-50 year olds there ....were most likely raised as a barrel child. Remember when Jamaicans (espec women ) were free to go to the USA or Canada as domestic help.

Sorry to have gone so off topic !

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - oldtimer - 02-05-2012

Well I wish they would come here instead of the US of A. I guess we are suckers when it comes to immigration. I DIDN't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! say all Jamaicans I said the ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that come to Canada. In 42 years of working and visiting Jamaica I certainly had a much different experience than most of you guys but then again I expect people to come to work,everyday ontime and ready....is that really asking too much ?

I said the ones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that come to Canada.

OT I'm sure you didn't want to say that either right? Just as I'm very sure you don't know EVERY jamaican in Canada.

I know Macy's sister/cousin lives in Canada and is a very hard working woman. She even stopped by this board once Smile

Venus, I used to think it was crass to give money as well. I have changed my mind on that for a couple of reasons: gifts dictate what they get, money doesn't take up luggage room and weight and nothing feeds a family like cash. I do agree to each their own when it comes to who and what people give.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - oldtimer - 02-06-2012

I only said 42.7% draw welfare !!!!! not all !!!!!! I didn't make these numbers up ,it was published in macLeans magazine in the economic section. If there wrong ,I'm wrong.I have nothing else to go by other than wondering why most only worked 3 1/2 days out of 5 in Jamaica.It's a mystery to me as well !!!!!

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - rastagirl777 - 02-06-2012

Here's my story Romae - been traveling to Jamaica since '83...been living here "part time", 2-3 months a year (NOT retired) for the past 10 (West End Negril). I live in a neighborhood, in a private yard and am part of a community. Its a very comfortable and easy sitch. I do understand most patois and don't often encounter any hostility from anyone whether I'm in my 'hood or on the beach or walking the road. I mind my own business, I keep to myself, my community and friends I have here for the past 20 or so years. I used to think I wanted to buy land here - I'm so over that. I used to think I wanted to "retire" here - not possible...on many levels - especially in Negril - too expensive and NO healthcare. At least my crappy insurance in the states allows me to get SOME kind of decent healthcare.

One learns the runnings by experiencing the runnings. That's all I really have to say on this topic. I love my island home for as long as I have it - but I also love my California home. Life is too short to live somewhere you hate and to do or work at something you hate. I'm fortunate to love both what I do and where I live be it in the winter or fall/spring/summer.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - wit - 02-06-2012

One learns the runnings by experiencing the runnings

yes and no RG. You can learn the runnings they allow you too. Does this make you knowlegable or part of the runnings? no. For those who think they can be a local again, imo you are fooling yourself. No time, marriage, nada will ever be enough information. I see more non verbal communications between them than ever opening their mouths.

Frankly I"m not sure why anyone would want to be a local? Are they that great to emulate? Nope they are just flawed people like the rest of us.

Re: Same Vacation/Different Experience - wit - 02-06-2012

being accepted as a part of a culture is different than knowing what goes on in a culture

ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner!!!! Smile