The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Help with charitable organizations - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Help with charitable organizations (/showthread.php?tid=42452)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Help with charitable organizations - rootswoman - 01-26-2012

I like to think you are right with your assessment of the Negril Rotary, RG. However, I will add that things are not always what they seem. I distinctly recall some highly questionable activities conducted by the Negril Rotary after Hurricane Ivan -

With that being said - bravo for their soup kitchen! I am happy to hear about this.

Re: Help with charitable organizations - rootswoman - 01-26-2012

Tammy - look what still comes up on google - i put in Negril Rotary and Ivan
http://negril.com.jm/eisha.html - funny but the link won't post here -you will have to try it yourself - http://negril.com.jm/eisha.html

ok so my memory isint failing we did discuss this recently...

Re: Help with charitable organizations - Sundowner - 01-26-2012

I remember all of this crap going on, Tammy. And I agree with you 100% about Gail Jackson. She is a true gem in Negril. I have often made donations of both goods and money through her and I have no doubt they are going where they are needed.

Re: Help with charitable organizations - wit - 01-27-2012

Boardies are way too trusting of a white face in Jamaica. Just my thoughts of course but my thoughts come with much experience with those white faces.

ditto!

Re: Help with charitable organizations - oldtimer - 01-27-2012

It was the Venezuelians !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not the rotary that finished the Rocky Hill School BUT !!!!!! the rotary put their name on it.Leenda did EVERTHING !!!!! she could but got ripped over and over...my hat comes off to her !!!!!!

Re: Help with charitable organizations - rastagirl777 - 01-27-2012

Well - this thing with Eisha and Ivan I had no idea about - Ivan was indeed quite a while ago and it sounds to me like one bad apple there - and my own assistance after Ivan was more personal in nature. I wasn't even "on the boards" at that time. When I did the search on Google I only saw that one "article" from that one board asking for donations. Not a newspaper article or any other posting about the misuse of donations.

The Venezuelan Army helped rebuild LOTS of stuff and very well might have had a hand at Rocky Hill and other schools that were rebuilt after the hurricane. But I do know Rotary money and time was put into that project as well.

Fast forward eight years later - and the Negril Rotary is a solid organization, supported by many Negrilians and doing great stuff. I will continue to support them with whatever I have to support them with.

Re: Help with charitable organizations - Jamaicame - 01-27-2012

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. More are very much welcome too. I'm trying to get island wide organizations so every area will be included (Kingston too).

Please let me know if you think of others.

Thanks guys.

Re: Help with charitable organizations - rastagirl777 - 01-27-2012

"Rotaries really can differ across a period of years. It is just like a Board of Directors, in that folks "drop out" & others come on board. Make sure that you are comparing "apples to apples" when judging these types of organizations, as it's often "apples to oranges"! "
Absolutely Jenny - The Rotary I "know" is straight up and hard working. No "shenanigans" - and lots of people doing lots of good in the community. Until I see otherwise, they will have my support.

Yeah, Tammy you are right, lol - no newspaper articles about that but there was a funny one in the Observer around that time about a cell phone that go "misplaced" in some woman's, well...um....

And we all have our opinions as to which organizations we like to contribute to and which ones we don't. And we all have our reasons for that.

Re: Help with charitable organizations - BrenJaLee - 01-27-2012

Isn't there an organization (or person) that collects donated eyeglasses? I can't remember the specifics but just remember reading about it. Maybe someone else remembers? That could be something simple for a bridal party to participate in - have guests bring one pair of eye glasses each. I'd imagine a lot of couples who plan destination weddings ask for no gifts (your attendance is your gift - I read that a lot) but maybe they could ask each guest to bring a pair of eyeglasses, drop them in a box at the reception and donate it to the organization. Darn I wish I could remember the name of the organization.

Re: Help with charitable organizations - monk - 01-28-2012

http://www.kiracares.org/