The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Lovin' the straightforward NO - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Lovin' the straightforward NO (/showthread.php?tid=38010)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - Yamangurl - 12-11-2011

CaptnD, would you write here how YOU say no to beggy beggy in Patois? I'd be interested to hear that (if it includes more than just the word "no"Wink.

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - captaind on Zion Hill - 12-13-2011

I can't write in patois nor can I show the body language but here's one dialogue

Beggy beggy,...........

What's you're name boy? Not first name..... your family name? Your mama send you out to beg...why you not in school?

Then what JaJewel said.....

I have no problem engaging a beggar in conversation. Especially when they realize that I just might be a Jamaican "big man" and have been here longer than they have.

BTW ... I also have no problem buying a pattie, coco bread or meatloaf or a juice drink for a beggar or pushing 100 Ja or two in their hands.

I am certainly not rich but I am not poor and a couple of US dollars isn't going to change my life.

It's just a judgment I make on the fly relying on my instincts and experience.

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - Yamangurl - 12-13-2011

Thanks CaptnD and Jewel!

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - rootswoman - 12-13-2011

Great thread!

Cut straight to the chase with a flat out No - I couldn't agree more -

I get plenty of practice saying NO here in Los Angeles - It breaks my heart, but there are people in need everywhere I turn. In the past few years it has gotten considerably worse. When I first moved out here and lived in Marina Del Rey there were a couple of key intersections that had people begging - but for the most part the beggers stayed out of the Marina - Now every major streetlight has people begging - the worst part is - I see more and more women and children. There are so many homeless children in this city -

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - oldtimer - 12-14-2011

If it's kids I speak french,If it's crackheads I speak FO,if it's an elderly lady I cave and do what the other Capt does ,and if they dare say "respect" I go turbo !!! The 1st thing I buy in Negril is a rachet five star.I can open and shut that as well as any Jamaican.

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - oldtimer - 12-14-2011

You can buy them at the hardware store in Lucea or up by the water tower at the top of Redground.You have to be selective because the one's from China are junk BUT !!!! the Okapi's are made in South Africa and are just right. I said 5 star because that's what they were but the good one's are hard to find but the Okapi's will pass with flying colours.I have about 20 rachete knives and have a 5 star I bought in 1966 that I still use today in my boat,it's as sharp as a razor and holds an edge for a long time.There is no country of origin on it but I suspect that the blade was from Brazil.

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - Sophie - 12-14-2011

We bought one at ummmm- dang can't remember the name----- right behind Value Master back where you take the steps up to the pharmacy. I'm looking at it and it is an Okapi made in South Africa.

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - Sophie - 12-14-2011

Here it is JJ

Re: Lovin' the straightforward NO - Debra - 12-21-2011

I'm with you captaind.

I lived in a village, and I knew which children stayed home to beg down by the cave, and sometimes they would visit me. I did my best to teach them how to write thier names, read to them and they liked that. It went on for a while, but thier parents did not like it, cause they were not making money!

I pretty much do not have any memories of tourist, NO's.

I helped many adults in my years of living there. They also helped me.

Now I hear my house is being taken apart, that deserves a BIG OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I am planning on going to stay there one day. B really has alot of nerve. I called him yesterday, first line, do you want to come sleep with me tonight???? I go on to talk PCB chit chat.
Next I tell him I had the good thick wood for Mother's house on the hill. Most of it was stolen, b/c B would not lock it up. So I say I had to buy back wood, take Mom's favorite table and make a door for the bath. Now they have taken every door but the front door and I am afraid the cedar slats and window frames are gone too. I am pissed and ask Him "Why if you are so respected in the community, why do you not tell them NO leave Debra's house ALONE!!!!" He said woman ya hot mi head, and hung up. Let me tell you, I left him a message that what am I suppose to do? that was a big chunk of my retirement money....I feel you are scrapping my house down to the bottom yard.....Tell people NO Leave my House alone!!!!!!