The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Our Cuban break from Jamaica - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Our Cuban break from Jamaica (/showthread.php?tid=37431)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - Tim - 12-04-2011

It was actually very inexpensive. Our flights on Air-suck-Canada from Saskatoon to Holguin with a layover in Toronto were just over $900 each return including taxes. We flew Air Canada only because of their better schedule. We could have flown westjet for a bit less (my cousin that got married works for them and we could have gotten a small discount) but their flight schedule meant less time in Cuba. My wife is a teacher so we were limited by her time off availability.

We stayed at the Club Amigo, a fairly large complex made up of the amalgamation of 4 different hotels in the past. It was rated a 3 star, whatever that means. My first trip to Jamaica was in 1999 I think. We stayed at the Starfish Trelawny and it would be very comparable to Club Amigo. Nothing fancy, but very clean. We stayed in one of the premium rooms, known as the Villas. Had a decent king size bed, similar to what we get at Country Country in Negril. LCD TV with 4 or 5 english stations along with spanish and maybe some German or Italian. Had a split AC unit, once again similar to Country Country that worked great, endless very hot water, sliding doors to a small patio overlooking the sea (one of the pics I posted shows the view from the patio).
As I have mentioned, the food was fine, I was going in expecting it to be not great so I can't complain. At home bacon and eggs is a treat on weekends when we have time to cook. I had the full meal deal every day there. There was a good selection of breads, fruits and veggies in the buffets all the time. For suppers there would be a variety of fish and maybe pork or beef but never and kind of prime cuts. There was a 24hr bar very close to our room that you could always get a "burger", fries or grilled cheeze. During the day you could also get small pizzas at a couple of the bars and they were quite delicious.
The place wasn't very crowded so getting served drinks was always fast. And no such thing as watered down rum, it was a strong as you wanted. Some of my relatives stayed at the 4 star Brisas next door to us and I heard it was always lineups at the bars there.
Did I mention the ice cream? If the buffet was open there was hard ice cream of many flavors at all times. It was a little too good and I'm sure I pounded a gallon over the time we were there.
We also were entitled to 3 ala carte meals but only took advantage of one, and it was very good.
So we ate all our meals at the resort except for the wedding and our pig roast. The drinking was split between the resort during the day but once we were primed it was off to the beach bar for $1 beer or $2 mohitos.
For 7 nights at Club Amigo in the Villas the bill came to $560 Canadian, and that was for the 2 of us. Well under $100 a night with food and booze included, how can you beat that? It was so cheap that is why I am planning another trip somewhere in Feb or March, I brought home most of the spending money I took with me.

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - Tim - 12-04-2011

Wendy - honestly, the picture doesn't show how monstrous the waves were. There was one other boat that went out from the marina that day, a bit larger than ours. It was 4 french people from Quebec plus the crew. We heard over the radio they headed back after an hour, they were all sick.

Beachcat- Besides the evening stage shows at the resort, alot of the music we heard was typical techno dance crap, although it made for some good scenery (hot woman dancing very "suggestively"Wink, very similar to what you see in Jamaica.

As for the food, there's no doubt it doesn't compare to Jamaican, but then again not many places do. The pig roast along with the fresh marlin was delicious though, but for most Cubans that is a very rare feast.

Re: Our Cuban break from Jamaica - rastagirl777 - 12-05-2011

Cuba is very much on my bucket list. Wish I had done it back when it was only $200 to fly from Jamaica...now it's over $500.