The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Summerset Dangerous? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Summerset Dangerous? (/showthread.php?tid=31417)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - rastagirl777 - 09-25-2011

Great posts from everyone particularly Tammy and Debra....

The only thing I have to add is that the last time I walked past Cotton Tree it looked funky to me. But I've never ever stepped inside the place - so what do I know, lol!

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - LostBeachBum - 09-26-2011

Medi, I hope you are still coming down. Don't let anyone scare you off. Crime can happen anywhere. 5 people were killed in my city this weekend and it's about as big as Westmoreland. Just use common sense and be friendly but cautious about sharing details. Don't carry many valuables on you so you won't have much to lose. Theft is by far the highest risk of crime in JA, if you don't bring much, you don't have much to worry about. Hope to still see you down there! Bless up!

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - irieworld - 09-26-2011

I know there has been much discussion here and there about staying at Summerset or on that lane. I think your plan is a good one--stay for a few nights, check the vibe, and if you are not comfortable move to another place w/out giving them more than you already put down on deposit. Make sure to have cash at hand in case you feel you need to move--safety first! But if it seems chill and you feel safe then go for it. In the meantime keep checking other spots for good deals and take a list of possibilities with you if needed. I hope you report back so we all know how it goes.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - LostBeachBum - 09-26-2011

Not that I would recommend it for a solo woman, but I've never paid any attention to plates when grabbing a taxi. I take bike taxis, station wagons, vans, pick up trucks, whoever will stop for me. I've even hitched in JA, but they all expected a donation so I consider them "hacks". I think the whole Red Plate thing gives people a false sense of security. If something were to happen to you while in one, what makes you think a Jamaican insurance company will give you a damn thing? I personally don't think it matters, but to each their own.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - rootswoman - 09-27-2011

Another tip for budget travelers - i don't know if it is still running but the margaritaville shuttle bus is free. It used to run down from the west end about ten in the morning and returns at 4 in the afternoon. The drivers don't know, or care if you eat and or drink at margaritaville. I would tip the drivers and then they will be happy to pick you up. I was on a tight budget so I would tip when the bus was empty but not so much when it was full. I'ts a good back up when you are in the right place at the right time.

Be sure you bring some really good walking shoes. The more you walk, the less you spend. Also bring a day pack so you can carry any food and drink that you want to by in town before you head home. An insulated bag of some sort is also really handy and guarantees a cool drink when you get home.

I hear there is a free "one love pub crawl shuttle bus" as well

I don't want to hear any more worrying Medi! Once you go you will know! If you need to move I am sure you will have no problem moving. There is a good chance you will be very happy at Somerset. Nothing you are thinking about right now will be what actually goes down when you get there. You are going on an adventure. The worst thing that can happen is you have to spend more then you planned and cut your trip short. Heck, three good weeks is better then four so- so weeks.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - Sharleen - 09-27-2011

Rastagirl what are you saying ??? "There are some (not many) route taxis about at night"

??????????????? from November through April there are MANY MANY route taxi's driving about & way up into the west end on a fifteen minute basis. I don't think I have had to wait more then ten minutes for one to come. Ever Ever Ever, except maybe back in the 1970's. And I rest far into the west end too. The only time (far out) that route taxi's don't drive by is during the summer months.

There are a massive amount of route taximen that take the Orange Hill workers into and out of the hotels during the night time hours. And transport them back to the hotels in the early morning hours.

I have probably about thirty "west end" route taxi driver's cell phone numbers. I do have my favorites too -- "Lenny" an old time rastaman who drives the early morning Orange Hill crew to their work destinations. "Ian" -- who lives on the very scary Lime Tree Lane & drives cars that are practically falling apart (24 hour pick up/delivery) -- CHEAP too. The long-time Negril resident who picks up the tourists daily for the airport drive -- I usually get from Mobay to upper West End via the cheap shuttle. $15... everyone else is dropped off first at all these fancy places on the beach... I'm the last one to get off the bus. The driver always marvels "It's like a different world up here"....

And for sure I use the Margaritaville bus regularly -- I'm not sure if it runs in November though -- usually it's around 10:30 a.m. in the west end that it drives to the place. & I think the departure time is 4:00 p.m. or so (back into the wests end). I always tip the driver $1-$2 & as my trip progresses & I have less and less money, sometimes no tip.

When you first get there, it might be a good idea for you to buy some breakfasts at the nearest place that offers entry into the ocean. After about a week or so, you will be welcomed still, when your money is "done".

Bring US $1's... for tips at restaurants initially and route taxi money --

I do basic --- it seems many of you don't... for me, if it is a choice of staying three and a half weeks doing "basic" or one week doing "really nice" -- I choose the basic plan. My one criteria is being absolutely RIGHT ON THE SEA. Like open my eyes in my bed and being able to see the ocean.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - rootswoman - 09-30-2011

"stokie" = crack head

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - Sundowner - 10-01-2011

I've been following this thread but have held off on saying anything because I feel you are pretty much overwhelmed by now & didn't want to stress you out any more. But anyway, here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I was robbed in March staying on the west end in an older, reputable hotel surrounded by a stone wall and locked gate at night. Crackheads scaled the wall, dismantled my louvred window and unlocked my door and came in and cleaned me out - while I was sleeping! After that incident, I was much more observant and yes, it's true, the crackheads are all over the West End. Not saying this would happen to you, but you must be very vigilant at all times, and is that really how you want to spend your long-awaited vacation?

My advice would be to go with Westport Cottages on the beach road. I have friends who have been staying there long term for many years and have nothing but good things to say about it. It also has a locked gate and the owners watch out for their guests. You would be central and can get to any place you need to go easily from there. Easy and cheap to catch a cab up to the W. End for swims if you prefer it over the beach. Easy to go out to dinner in the evenings and grab a cab back after dark. If Westport has all the amenities you need, that would be my choice.

Whatever you decide, Medi, I hope you have a wonderful, stress-free vacation.