The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+---- Forum: Trip Report Archive (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Thread: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in (/showthread.php?tid=100372)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Schuttzie - 07-05-2014

So glad you came back on here to check in, LostBeachBum! I enjoyed your reflections very much and look forward to your recipes. Take care and bless!

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - rastagirl777 - 07-05-2014

Gerry, here's my response (not a retort, look the word up in the dictionary)

As far as the barrel thing, like I said, I didn't want to say anything but I think Jitterbug is right. There are certain things that are dicey to do when it comes to relating and living well among them in your neighborhood. Having a chicken barrel that you sell on the street is one of them. Oh, you could do what you want but there are bad minded and jealous people out there who might try to sabotage you in different ways (i.e., mashing up said barrel). Owning a hotel or a restaurant is different - Jamaicans are used to foreigners opening up and running establishments such as these and go with the roll on that - plenty of Jamaicans own hotels and restaurants too. But the vision of a white guy in a chef's coat running a barrel down the road from the Jamaican with no shoes I'd think would raise eyebrows. I don't know - never tried it never saw anyone else try it so who knows, you might start a trend, lol. You have Jamaican friends - run it by them to get their honest opinion.

I have a friend who started a charter fishing business, brought a boat in from the states (which was an expensive and not an easy thing to do). Someone or some people got a bug up their butt about it and for a year stole stuff off the boat again and again and again. Took the poor guy three years to establish himself and ingratiate himself into the community so that he and his boat would be left alone.

Just to clarify (Suzengrace) - I live in a yard with full time Jamaican residents who happen to be foreigners (i.e., expatriates). My landlord's wife is Jamaican. My neighbors are Jamaican for the most part - a few expats as well. When I hang in my neighborhood at my friend's shop its mostly Jamaicans that come by. Any questions? Wink

Carry on LBB! Can't wait to hear more about your stay!

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - gerryg123 - 07-05-2014

Bingo. As predictable as the second ring on a phone.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - gerryg123 - 07-05-2014

BTW, I think I was pretty much spot-on:

FROM THE DICTIONARY:

re·tort

riˈtôrt

verb

1. to say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - rastagirl777 - 07-05-2014

"typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner."
My response was none of that. Stop hijacking LBB's story. I'm looking forward to reading more from him.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - wendy - 07-05-2014

Excellant writing and thoughts....
so many things of which you speak is what i see and live when there, i so can relate. 4 corners, a HOOT. What really touched me was when you spoke of something you couldnt have, all the way threw reading, that statement was stuck in my head until i came towards the end of your writings to read ..... it was a woman Sad .....
Eating off the land does get to a person after awhile, thats when i say "HEY, who wants to go to Burger KING " !! and what do you suppose they all order ???? CHICKEN !! Smile i hunker down with a double bacon cheeseburger savoring every bite, knowing tomorrow its back to the land.
I've kind of came to the conclusion that all this beggy beggy may not actually be that...what do we do...dont we talk about things/problems to one another here in the U.S ? we wouldnt even consider that our friend telling us their problems with being low on cash was a beggy beggy situation, but in fact, just letting steam off, needing to voice ? So when i hear everyones rants, i chime right along in with em...bills, bills, and more bills. Smile
HOT showers, dang, miss em....although the cold showers feel actually great in the summer months, yes, its those dang bugs that suck our blood but ive never been bit enuf to make a game on my skin like you hahaha...
tuff tuff not having legal water, electric....MANY in my hood do not, living amongst those who do not when arriving back to my 'home' here in the states i enter into my house...look around...and see THINGS. Things that many do not have, BUT yet so many peeps in JA JA land have what ?? SMILES threw their heartache and what do we see here ?? folks walking around with sad faces all dressed in their best heading to the job they hate....
sooooooo SMILE, live, and WALK GOOD

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - Angel - 07-05-2014

Lostbeachbum nice to read your feedback on being there. Not everyone may agree but it is your life. And gerryg123 and Rastagirl777 really the 4_14_6 is not nessesary just ignore each other. we can't all agree with each other.

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - rootswoman - 07-05-2014

I really enjoy reading your honest report. I so very much relate to your love/hate relationship with Jamaica. I spent a year in Jamaica with great intentions to do some serious writing -
the writing never happened ...

A push cart with Jamaican Jerk Chicken would make a killing here in Portland, Oregon.
(and it could be easily loaded on a truck and brought to reggae festivals)

Thanks for sharing LBB -

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - jitterbug - 07-05-2014

living with few amenities gets old really fast . . . especially no current or running water even if from a holding tank . . .

enjoyed re-reading your writing and yes, it's a love/hate relationship with jamaica for most of us who at some point stayed "real local" . . .

RE: Been here 2 weeks, all settled in - wendy - 07-05-2014

(07-05-2014, 01:28 AM)suzengrace Wrote:  .. I can agree with 100% about how a foreigner is looked at when you live among the local community (and not an ex-pat community-two different worlds imho)

TOTALLY ! west-end living is NOT living local (imo) pretty plush out der Smile