The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
If you feed birds - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: If you feed birds (/showthread.php?tid=100248)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: If you feed birds - papamark - 05-29-2014

Always nice to see infrequent visitors! 
The thief was at the hummingbird feeder again last night.  Went out in the dark and it left in a hurry, leaving the feeder swinging on the post.  I don't think it is a racoon.  I am thinking it flew off the feeder, making it swing.  So what would come feed on sugar water after dark and it flies?   Bats?  We have lots of those.   I'm perplexed...

RE: If you feed birds - Kandm - 05-30-2014

Not sure where you live PapaMark but I have read the following in regards to bats and humming bird feeders
Bats
In some parts of the American Southwest near the Mexican border, bats like hummingbird feeders, too. These gentle mammals are voracious nectar lovers, but they are also vital pollinators of saguaros, other giant cacti, and the large agaves.Bats can empty your feeders overnight, every night. If this is a problem for you, use a feeder with bee guards. Taking feeders in overnight will keep the bats away, but remember that hummers start feeding as early as 45 minutes before sunrise, and they really need the energy after a cool night.

RE: If you feed birds - kylake - 05-30-2014

Papa, we often see (during daylight) purple finches at our hummingbird feeders. Ours have bee guards but they are still able to get to the sugar water which doesn't bother us.

RE: If you feed birds - MoFromMonroe - 05-30-2014

Interesting about the bats. As mentioned I have only seen one or two hummers at a time but when I changed the nectar one of the feeders was empty. It is a red one that you can't see thru with a tube feeder that I read after purchasing hummers don't like those. The other 2 were fine. Maybe it was bats. We do have a few of those too as they roost on an attic fan vent and poop on my deck. I tolerate it because we lost almost all of our bats to white powder disease a few years ago.

RE: If you feed birds - MoFromMonroe - 05-30-2014

Kylake-thanks for info about the bird apps. My husband just got an Iphone for the first time and I told him to download it. He is way more of a birder than I am. He came in the house the other day and was so excited. Whispering come outside quickly. We had a piliated woodpecker in our tree. We don't see them too often.
We have blue jays, cardinals, robins, titmouce, cat bird, grackles, crows, nuthatch, finches. The ones I hate are the damn turkey vultures that come around once in awhile. They give me the creeps.

RE: If you feed birds - kylake - 05-30-2014

Here is a better picture Beth took of the summer tanager
[attachment=682]

RE: If you feed birds - papamark - 05-30-2014

Very interesting KandM.  We live in Michigan and have many bats swooping for insects nightly.  Two nights and the feeder is empty.  Now I am on a mission to catch them in the act...I will let you know if I succeed!!

RE: If you feed birds - Schuttzie - 05-31-2014

I had no idea about the bats, either.  We just puchased a field book on midwest birds so I'm looking forward to be able to identify them.  We finally got our hummingbirds back in the last couple of weeks, yeah!

RE: If you feed birds - rootswoman - 05-31-2014

Great thread and that is a beautiful bird Kylake.

We always fed the birds while I was growing up - what a wonderful thing...

So far I am working on the hummers but I think a seed feeder (or two) might be next on my list in the future.

My mother always had a Thistle Feeder, a sunflower seed feeder and some suet.

I remember the thistle feeder would attract a lot of the smaller and often colorful birds like finches.

Kylake have you used thistle feeders and are the black sunflowers seeds also the right seed for small birds.

I'm not a fan of bats - I'm rather terrified of them.

While I rarely see any hummers at my feeder I was topping some pansies under it yesterday and a hummer divebombed me - i heard it but never saw it. I have read that Rufous hummingbirds are very territorial - I guess so!

RE: If you feed birds - kylake - 05-31-2014

Rootswoman, here are my 2 cents. If you are going to get a seed feeder, get a yankee droll like the one I am posting at overstock. This is not a cheap feeder but will last forever, mine are over 30 years old and you can get replacement parts if needed.
Over the 30 years the only thing I have had to replace is the plexaglass tube (they used to provide those free under warranty but no longer do).
Get black oil sunflower seed to put in it and everything will come. If the specific bird does not eat Black oil directly it will eat it indirectly after other birds have left droppings.
I would suggest not messing with Thistle since it is more expensive and also will mold easily if not eaten (and it gets damp/moisture).
Speaking from years of experience here and others may also have comments that may or may not dispute what I am posting........come on is all I can say, and maybe I will learn something myself
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Tubular-6-port-Sunflower-Seed-Feeder/8396033/product.html?cid=209797&fp=F&TRACK=CSEShopzilla&mr:referralID=efe18680-e918-11e3-8dbe-001b2166c2c0